Tae J. Kwon, PhD
Assistant Professor, Transportation Engineering
Office: 6-281 Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering
Phone: 780 492-6121
Dr. Tae J. Kwon's research focuses on the application of
state-of-the-art geomatics and advanced (geo-)statistical methods and
techniques, on evaluation and optimization of complex transportation
service systems, and on the development of various decision support
tools for administering and managing these systems. Dr. Kwon is
particularly interested in exploring ways to effectively integrate
geographic information system (GIS) and remote sensing (RS) to the
field of winter transportation research.
Dr. Kwon's main research areas are as follows:
- Transportation and geomatics (remote sensing/GIS)
- Winter transportation engineering (winter road maintenance)
- Intelligent Transportation System (ITS)
- Applications of Big Data for estimation and forecasting of road and traffic conditions
- Spatial and temporal analyses of road traffic and safety
- Traffic and transportation system optimization
Current Research Initiatives
- Traveler behaviour under inclement winter weather conditions.
- Estimation and forecasting of road weather and surface conditions.
- Evaluation and development of a comprehensive winter storm severity index.
- Optimization of ITS highway infrastructure (e.g., road weather information systems).
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, 2016
- M.Sc., Geomatics, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, 2011
- B.Eng., Civil Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, 2009
- August 2016 to Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta.
- Jan 2016 - July 2016, Postdoctoral fellow, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.
- May 2015 - Aug 2015, Co-lecturer, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.
- May 2014 - Aug 2014, Lecturer, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.
- June 2012, Co-lecturer, Data for Performance Measurement. Professional Development Workshop, CSCE,Edmonton, AB.
- Standing Committee on TRB Surface Transportation Weather Research Group (AH010) TRB Committee Communication Coordinator (AH010)
Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Journal of Statistical Computing, Journal of Transportation Research Record, Journal of Modern Transportation, etc.
- University of Waterloo Doctoral Thesis Award, 12/2015
- NSERC / University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship (2 times)
- University of Waterloo Departmental Graduate Students Award (6 times)
- Doctor of Philosophy Award, 2011-2015
- Environmental Studies Graduate Excellence Award (3 times),
- Institute of Transportation Engineer (ITE) Presentation
Competition (1st Place), 2009
- J.L. Beaton Academic Excellence Award, 2008
- AOLS Education Foundation and High Academic Achievement Award, 2007
- President's Entrance Scholarships, 2004-2009
- Fu, Liping; Thakali, Lalita; Kwon, T. J.; Usman, Taimur. (2016). A Risk-Based Approach to Winter Road Surface Condition Classification. The Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering (CJCE). DOI: 10.1139/cjce-2016-2015.
- Kwon, T.J., Fu,
L., & Melles, S. (2016). Location Optimization of road weather
information system (RWIS) network considering the needs of winter
road maintenance and the traveling public. Computer-Aided Civil and
Infrastructure Engineering, pp 1-15. DOI: 10.1111/mice.12222.
- Kwon,T.J., and Fu, L (2016). Chapter 8: Mobility Benefits of Winter Road
Operations, Sustainable Winter Road Operations. Wiley-Blackwell (to
be published in Fall of 2016).
- Fu, L, Muresan, M., Kwon, T.J., and
Shi, X. (2016). Chapter 13: Source Control Strategies for Sustainable
WRM, Sustainable Winter Road Operations. Wiley-Blackwell (to be
published in Fall of 2016).
- Thakali, L., Kwon, T. J., & Fu, L.
(2015). Identification of crash hotspot using kernel density
estimation and kriging methods - a comparison. Journal of Modern
Transportation. DOI: 10.1007/s40534-0150-0068-0 (Selected as one of
the top five downloaded articles published in 2015).
- Kwon, T. J., Fu,
L. & Jiang, C. (2014). RWIS Stations - Where and How Many to Install:
A Cost Benefit Analysis Approach, Canadian Journal of Civil
Engineering (CJCE), DOI: 10.1139/cjce-2013-0569.
- Kwon, T. J., & Fu, L.
(2013). Evaluation of alternative criteria for determining the
optimal location of RWIS stations. Journal of Modern Transportation,
vol. 21., pp 17-27. DOI: 10.1007/s40534-013-0008-9.
- Kwon, T. J., Fu,
L., & Jiang, C. (2013). Effect of Winter Weather and Road Surface
Conditions on Macroscopic Traffic Parameters, accepted for
publication in Transportation Research Record: Journal of the
Transportation Research Board, National Research Council. Washington
D.C. DOI: 10.3141/2329-07.
- Kwon, T.J., Li, J., & Wong, A. (2012).
ETVOS: An Enhanced Total Variation Optimization Segmentation Approach
for SAR Sea-Ice Image Segmentation, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience
and Remote Sensing, 51(2), 925-934. DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2012.2205259.
- Kwon, T.J., & Li, J. (2012). Mapping Marine Oil Spills from Space. In
J. Yangm X., & Li (Ed.), Advances in Mapping from Remote Sensor
Imagery (pp. 361-386). CRC Press, Taylor & Francis.