Alireza Bayat, PhD, PEng
Director, Centre of Excellence for Trenchless Technologies (CETT)
Ralph Haas/Stantec Fellow in Civil Engineering
3-068 Markin/CNRL Natural Resources Engineering Facility
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2W2
Phone: (780) 492-5112
For research information visit:
Dr.Bayat’s research interests include road infrastructure and underground trenchless construction. As Director of the Centre of Excellence for Trenchless Technologies (CETT), Dr.Bayat’s research focuses on the technical and operational challenges associated with Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD), Pilot-tube Micro Tunneling (PTMT) and Underground Infrastructure Condition Assessment. He leads research at the Integrated Road Research Facility, which he helped form with provincial and municipal partners, to investigate the performance of different materials for road embankments and insulation layers in cold-climate regions. Other research projects in road infrastructure include: Mechanistic-Empirical pavement design, development and characterization of road materials and pavement performance for cold regions, winter road maintenance, and weigh in motion accuracy. Dr.Bayat is also involved in developing several full-scale field instrumentation and monitoring programs to measure soil and pavement responses under a variety of dynamic loads and environmental conditions.
- Ph.D. 2009, Pavement/Geotechnical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
- M.Sc. 2004, Geotechnical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
- B.Sc. 2002, Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Recent Academic Awards
- Ralph Haas/Stantec Fellow in Civil Engineering
Recent Journal Publications
- Nassiri, S., & Bayat, A. (2012) “Evaluation of MEPDG Seasonal Adjustment Factors for the Unbound Layers’ Moduli Using Field Moisture and Temperature Data.” In Press. Journal of Pavement Research and Technology.
- Meles, D., & Bayat, A. (2012) “Compression Behavior of Large Size Tire Derived Aggregate for Embankment Application.” Accepted. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering.
- Akbarzadeh, H., Bayat, A. (2012) '' Investigating ASTM F 1962 Arching Factor for Polyethylene Pipes Installed by Horizontal Directional Drilling,'' Accepted, Journal of Tunneling and Underground Space Technology.
- Saha, J., Nassiri, S., Soleymani, H., Bayat, A. (2012), “A Comparative Study between the Alberta Transportation Flexible Pavement Design and the MEPDG,” Accepted, International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology.
- Akbarzadeh, H., Bayat, A. & Soleymani, H. (2011) ''Analytical Review of the HMA Temperature Correction Factors from Laboratory and Falling Weight Deflectometer Tests,'' International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Volume 5, Issue 1, PP 30-39.
- Bayat, A., Knight, M. (2011) '' Field Evaluation and Analyses of Flexible Pavement Structural Responses under Dynamic Loads,” International Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design, Volume 13, Issue 2, PP 26-37.
- Bayat, A., Knight, M. & Soleymani, H. (2011) '' Field monitoring and comparison of thermal- and load-induced strains in asphalt pavement,'' In Press, International Journal of Pavement Engineering.
- Bayat, A., Knight, M. (2010), “Validation of Hot-Mix Asphalt Dynamic Modulus using Field Measured Pavement Response,” Journal of Transportation Research Record, Pavement Management 2010, Volume 2, PP 138-145.