Alireza Bayat, PhD, PEng
NSERC Associate Industrial Research Chair in Underground Trenchless Construction
Current Research Initiatives:
- Ph.D. 2009, Pavement/Geotechnical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
- M.Sc. 2004, Geotechnical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
- B.Sc. 2002, Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Dr. Bayat’s research interests include trenchless construction of underground and road
infrastructures. As the NSERC IRC in Underground Trenchless Construction, Dr. Bayat will be
researching methods to install and rehabilitate underground infrastructure, focusing on coldregion
climates. Dr. Bayat will investigate risk factor and mitigation, microtunneling, pipejacking,
the improvement of trenchless geotechnics, and the implementation of fibre-to-the-home
As Director of the Consortium for Engineered Trenchless Technologies (CETT), Dr.
Bayat’s research focuses on the technical and operational challenges associated with trenchless
construction of underground infrastructure. Dr. Bayat’s research in CETT focuses on
construction and operational challenges associated with Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD),
Pilot-Tube Micro Tunneling (PTMT), Pipe Bursting, Cured-in-Place Pipe (CIPP), fibre-to-thehome
(FTTH) installations, and Underground Infrastructure Condition Assessment. As CETT’s
research initiatives grow, so does its impact on the trenchless technology industry. Before Dr.
Bayat’s initiatives, the University of Alberta had not been involved in underground trenchless
research, but with his expertise, it is swiftly becoming a leader in these technologies.
Dr. Bayat is also lead researcher at the Integrated Road Research Facility (IRRF), which
he helped form with provincial and municipal partners to investigate the impact of cold climates
on pavement performance. The IRRF was formed with the goal of answering important questions
about the impact of cold-climates on pavement performance, as well as test the feasibility of
waste and recycled materials in road construction.
Select Journal Publications:
- Associate Editor, March 2016–Present
ASCE Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board, 2016–Present
Trenchless Technology Canada
- Ralph Haas/ Stantec Fellow in Civil Engineering, November 2012–Present
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta
- Main Member - AFP50, 2016–Present
Standing Committee on Seasonal Climatic Effects on Transportation Infrastructure
- Board Member, 2014–Present
North American Society of Trenchless Technology (NASTT), NW Chapter
- Committee Member, 2013–Present
TRB Full-Scale Accelerated Pavement Testing Committee (AFD40)
- Board Member, Secretary and University of Alberta Representative, 2010–Present
Centre for Pavement and Transportation Engineering Planning
- University of Alberta Representative, 2010–Present
Transportation Research Board of National academy of Science (TRB)
- Vaseli, H., Hashemian, L., Bayat, A., Gay, L., Williams, I., Mezler, J. (2016) “Evaluation
of Fiber Optic Installation Methods, A Case Study on Micro-Trenching in Alberta, Canada”,
Published Online, FACETS Journal. (https://doi.org/10.1139/facets-2016-0043)
- Asefzadeh, A., Hashemian, L. and Bayat. A. (2017). “Development of Statistical
Temperature Prediction Models for a Test Road in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada”, Published
Online, International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology
- Rezaei, M., Hashemian, L., Huculak, B. and Bayat, A. (2016) “Investigation of Rutting
Resistance and Moisture Damage of Cold Asphalt Mixes”, Published Online, Journal of
Materials in Civil Engineering. (10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002042)
- Hashemian, L., Rezaei, M., and Bayat, A. (2017), “Field and Laboratory Investigations on
Pavement Backfilling Material for Micro-Trenching in Cold Regions”, Published Online,
International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology (10.1016/j.ijprt.2017.03.010).
- Alberto-Hernandez, Y., Kang, C., Yi, Y. and Bayat, A. (2016). “Mechanical Properties of
Clayey Soil Relevant for Clogging Potential”, Published Online, International Journal of
Geotechnical Engineering (10.1080/19386362.2017.1311086).
- Yi, Y., Khondoker, M.T.H., Ranjbar, M., and Bayat, A. (2016). “Jacking Force Analysis
of Pipe Installation using a Modified Guided Boring Method”, ASCE Journal of Pipeline
Systems Engineering and Practice, Volume 8, Issue 4.
- Asefzadeh, A., Hashemian, L., and Bayat, A. (2017). “Characterization of Permanent
Deformation Behavior of Silty Sand Subgrade Soil under Repeated Load Triaxial Tests”,
Published Online, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research
Board of the National Academies. (https://doi.org/10.3141/2641-13)
- Shafiee, M., Biswas, S., Tavafzadeh, N., Hashemian, L., Bayat, A. (2017). “Investigation of
Thermal-Induced Strains in Flexible Pavements Based on Field Data”, Canadian Journal of
Civil Engineering, Volume 44, Issue 4, pp. 244-252.
- Alberto-Hernandez, Y., Kang, C., Yi, Y., and Bayat, A. (2017) “Clogging Potential of
Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM): A Review”, International Journal of Geotechnical
Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2016.1277621.
- Khondoker, M. T. H, Yi, Y., and Bayat, A. (2016) “Subsurface Profiling Using Horizontal
Drilling Indices for Guided Boring Method”, Published Online, International Journal of
Geotechnical Engineering (10.1080/19386362.2016.1257415).
- Meles, D., Yi, Y. and Bayat, A. (2016) “Performance Evaluation of Highway Embankment
Constructed from Tire Derived Aggregate Using Falling Weight Deflectometer Tests”,
Transportation Infrastructure Geotechnology, DOI: 10.1007/s40515-016-0035-1.
- Rabiei, M., Yi, Y., Bayat, A. Cheng, R. and Osbak, M. (2016) “Fluidic Drag Estimation in
Horizontal Directional Drilling using Finite Volume Method”, Published
Online, International Journal of Pipeline Engineering (10.1061/(ASCE)PS.1949-
- Biswas, S., Hashemian, L., Bayat, A. (2016) “Investigation on Seasonal Variation of
Thermal-Induced Strain in Flexible Pavements Based on Field and Laboratory
Measurements”, International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Volume 9,
Issue 5, pp. 354-362.
- Ngan, K., Yi, Y., Rostami, A. and Bayat, A. (2016) “Estimation of Soil Expansion Force in
Static Pipe Bursting: Comparison Between Numerical and Analytical Solutions”, Published
Online, ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics (10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-
- Shafiee, M., Hashemian, L., Rostami, A., Tabatabaee, N., and Bayat, A. (2016) “Field
Measurement and Modeling of Vertical and Longitudinal Strains from Falling Weight
Deflectometer Testing,” Accepted, Journal of Transportation Engineering: Part B,