Yong Li, PhD
Assistant Professor, Structural Engineering
Office: 6-259 Donadeo Innovation Cntr for Engineering
Phone: 780 492 2722
Dr Li is mainly fascinated in developing and applying (1) probabilistic and statistical methods to engineering risk/reliability problems, and (2) optimization methods to inverse engineering problems in the field of structural engineering. Engineering risk assessment consists of uncertainty quantification and propagation through physics-based (e.g., nonlinear finite element) and/or data-based modeling. This serves to assist decision-making in the process of probability-based design, retrofit, and maintenance in the face of uncertainty. He is also extensively involved with inverse engineering problems (e.g., structural design optimization, nonlinear FE model updating using field-recorded and experimental data). Specifically, his research interests includes:
- Mechanics-based nonlinear FE simulation
- Stochastic modeling of natural hazard loads
- Probabilistic mechanics and dynamics
- Risk and reliability analysis
- Soil-structure interaction
- Performance-based engineering and innovative engineering solutions
- Nonlinear system identification and model updating
- Statistical learning for health monitoring
- High throughput computing
- Ph.D. (2014), Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego, USA
- M.A. (2013), Applied Mathematics, University of California, San Diego, USA
- M.S. (2009), Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- B.S. (2006), Civil Engineering, Beihang University of , Beijing, China
- 2017.01 - present, Assistant Profesor, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- 2015.01 - 2016.12, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, San Diego, USA
Selected Refereed Journal Publications:
- Li, Y., and Conte, J.P., "Effects of Seismic Isolation on the Seismic Response of a California High-Speed Rail Prototype Bridge with Soil-Structure and Track-Structure Interaction," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, doi: 10.1002/eqe.2770, 2016.
- Li, Y., Conte, J.P., and Barbato, M., "Influence of the Time-Varying Frequency Content in Earthquake Ground Motions on Seismic Response of Linear Elastic Systems," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, doi: 10.1002/eqe.2707. 2016.
- Gu, Q., Liu, Y., Li, Y., and Lin, C., "Finite Element Response Sensitivity Analysis of Three-dimensional Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction(SFSI) Systems," Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, in press, 2017.
- Li, Y, Huang, S., Lin, C., Gu, Q., and Qiu, Z., "Response Sensitivity Analysis for Plastic Plane Problems based on Direct Differentiation Method," Computers and Structures, in press, 2017.
- Astroza, R., Ebrahimian, H., Li, Y., and Conte, J.P., "Bayesian Nonlinear Structural FE Model Updating for Damage Identification of Civil Structures Subjected to Unknown Inputs," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, under review, 2016.
- Li, Y., Astroza, R., Conte, J.P., and Soto, P., "Nonlinear Finite Element Model Updating and Reconstruction of the Response of an Instrumented Isolated Bridge Subjected to the 2010 Maule Earthquake," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, under review, 2016.
- Li, Y., and Conte, J.P., "Probabilistic Performance Evaluation of Seismic Isolation System for California High-speed Rail Prototype Bridge," Journal of Structural Engineering, under review, 2016.
- Li, Y., and Conte, J.P., "Probabilistic Performance-based Optimum Seismic Design of Seismic Isolation for California High-speed Rail Prototype Bridge," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, under review, 2016.
- Li, Y., Conte, J.P., Gu, Q., and Gill, P.E., "Framework for Probabilistic Performance-based Optimum Seismic Design of Structures," Structural Safety, under review, 2016.