Lijun Deng, PhD, PEng
Assistant Professor, Geotechnical Engineering
Office: 6-261 Donadeo Innovation Cntr for Engineering
Phone: (780) 492-6210
Although Alberta is not generally considered as an earthquake-active zone, it is vital to educate the engineering communities with fundamentals of mitigation, preparedness, and recovery of earthquake hazards. Before joining University of Alberta, Dr Deng has been investigating an innovative rocking shallow foundation design methodology and soil stability using both physical modeling tools and numerical methods. Dr Deng is persistently interested in the research and education of geotechnical earthquake engineering covering the fields of,
- Dynamic soil-structure interaction,
- Pile foundations,
- Soil dynamics, and
- Permafrost engineering.
Dr. Deng's selected research projects are:
- Rocking Shallow Foundations for Improving Seismic Performance of Soil-Structure Systems, 2014 – 2018, NSERC – DG
- Innovative Rock Foundation for Earthquake Risk Mitigation, 2015 – 2017, UAlberta International
- Behaviour of Tapered Screw Pile Foundations in Unfrozen and Frozen Soils, 2015 – 2018, NSERC – CRD program
- In-situ Helical Pile Load Tests for CCMC Certification, 2014 – 2015
Dr. Deng is currently working on a few initiatives in geotechnical centrifuge modeling and worm-assisted tailings settling.
- Ph.D., Civil & Environ Eng, 2012, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
- M.Sc., Geotechnical Eng, 2006, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- B.Sc., Hydraulic & Hydropower Eng, 2003, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Assistant Professor, 2013- present, University of Alberta
- Geotechnical Engineer, 2012-2013, Advanced Geomechanics Pty Ltd, Perth, WA, Australia
- Graduate Student Researcher, 2006-2012, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Select Journal Publications
- Liang, J., Guo, Z., Deng, L., Liu, Y. (2015). “MFT consolidation through microbial induced calcium carbonate precipitation.” Canadian J. Civil Engineering. (accepted)
- Deng, L., and Kutter, B. L., Kunnath, S. K. (2014). “Seismic Design of Rocking Shallow Foundations: a Displacement-Based Methodology.” ASCE J. Bridge Eng., 19(11), 1-11.
- Deng, L., Kutter, B. L., and Kunnath, S. K. (2012). “Centrifuge modeling of bridge systems designed for rocking foundations.” ASCE J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 138(3), 335–344.
- Deng, L., and Kutter, B. L. (2012). “Characterization of rocking shallow foundation using centrifuge model tests.” Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(5),1043–1060.
- Deng, L., Kutter, B. L., and Kunnath, S. K. (2012). “Probabilistic seismic performance of rocking-foundation and hinging-column bridges.” Earthquake Spectra, 28(4), 1423-1446.
- Yu, Y., Deng, L., Sun, X., and Lu, H. (2010). “Centrifuge modeling of dynamic behavior of pile-reinforced slopes during earthquakes.” J. Central South University of Tech., 17(5), 1070-1078.
- Yu, Y., Deng, L., Sun, X., and Lu, H. (2008). “Centrifuge modeling of dry sandy slope response to earthquake loading.” Bull. Earthq. Eng., 6(3), 447-461.
- Fugro West Fellowship for excellent graduates in geotechnical engineering, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, UC Davis, 2011.
- Best Oral Presentation Award, UC Davis Geotech Roundtable Seminar, 2011.
- Best Poster Award, UC Davis Geotech Roundtable Seminar, 2011.
- Liu Huixian Earthquake Engineering Award, Huixian Earthquake Engineering Foundation (China) and the US-China Earthquake Engineering Foundation (USA), 2010.
- Travel Grant to the 9th US and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake in Toronto, Canada, under NSF Award #094379 through EERI, 2010.
- Fugro West Fellowship for excellent graduates in geotechnical engineering, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, UC Davis, 2009.
- Board member Geotechnical Society of Edmonton
- Canadian Geotechnical Society
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists (AEG)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)