Ian Buchanan, PhD, PEng
Associate Professor, Environmental Engineering
Office: 7-271 Donadeo Innovation Cntr for Engineering
Phone: 780 492 0244
Research interests include industrial and municipal wastewater treatment process development, modeling and optimization. Previous research has included (student researchers names are in brackets):
- Investigation of oxidase and peroxidase enzymes for removal of aromatic compounds (several phenols and endocrine disrupting compounds) from wastewater (Y.Han, J. Grant, K. Ikehata, X. Mao
- Hydrogen sulfide removal from anaerobic digesters by various sulfide sequestering chemicals and their effect on UV disinfection (R. Chiarella, J. Topnik)
- Removal of colour and other anionic compounds from pulp mill wastewaters using ion exchange (G. Yun)
- Assessing the technical feasibility of treating selected deep-well injection streams for water re-use (T. Jin Sung)
- Using dedicated soil plots to remove nutrients (N and P) from partially treated swine manure (Xiao, J.)
- Assessing the ability of a proprietary electro-chemical technology to remove ammonia from waste streams at the Clover Bar Waste Management Facility (Su, L.).
- Assessing the use of water treatment alum sludge for removing phosphorus from wastewater (T. Hossain)
- Developing improved analytical techniques to measure endocrine disrupting compounds in wastestreams (M. Fernandez)
- Surveying prevalence of EDCs in Western Canada municipal wastewaters (M. Fernandez)
- Assessing and modeling the removal of EDCs and the reduction of total estrogenicity by conventional municipal wastewater treatment (M. Fernandez)
Research Currently in Progress
- Developing artificial neural network process models of preliminary and primary treatment at the Gold Bar wastewater treatment plant (S. Jayaraman)
- Analysis, modeling, and optimization of grit chamber operation (A. Habib)
- Building and calibrating an activated sludge biological nutrient removal model for the Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant (A. Ganesh)
- Bench-scale (Z. Liu) and pilot-scale (R. Singh) investigation of co-digestion of municipal sludge and organic wastes for improved methane production at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre of Excellence Gold Bar site
- Sorption and desorption for treatment of the organic portion of oil sands process affected waters (Md. Z. Rahman)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W.(2004) Extracellular peroxidase production by Coprinus species from urea treated soil. Can. J. Microbiol. 50(1). 1-4.
- Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W.(2004) Recent developments in the production of extracellular fungal peroxidases and laccases for waste treatment. J. Environ. Eng. and Sci.3(1), 1-19.
- Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W.(2003) Treatment of oil refinery wastewater using crude Coprinus cinereus peroxidase and hydrogen peroxide. J. Environ. Eng. and Sci. 2(6). 463-472.
- Ikehata, K., and Buchanan, I.D. (2002) Screening of Coprinus species for the production of extracellular peroxidase and evaluation of the enzyme for the treatment of aqueous phenol. Environ. Tech. 23. 1355-1367
- Villalobos, D.A., and Buchanan, I.D., (2002) Removal of aqueous phenol by Arthromyces ramosus peroxidase. J. Environ. Eng.. Sci. 1(1), 65-73..
- Buchanan, I.D., and Han, Y.-S., (2000) Assessment of the potential or Arthromyces ramosus peroxidase to remove phenol from industrial wastewaters. Environ. Tech., 21, 545-552.
- Buchanan, I.D. and Nicell, J.A., (1999) A simplified model of peroxidase-catalyzed phenol polymerization and precipitation. J. Chem. Tech. Biotech., 74(7), 669-674.
- Buchanan, I.D. and Nicell, J.A., and Wagner, M. (1998) Reactor models for horseradish peroxidase-catalyzed aromatic removal ASCE J. Environ. Engrg., 124(9), 794-802.
- Buchanan, I.D., and Nicell, J.A., (1998) Kinetics of peroxidase interactions in the presence of a protective additive. J. Chem. Tech. Biotech., 72, 32-32.
- Buchanan, I.D., Nicell, J.A., (1997) Model development for horseradish peroxidase-catalyzed removal of aqueous phenol. Biotech. Bioeng., 54(3), 251-261.
- Nicell, J.A., Saadi, K.W., and Buchanan, I.D., (1995) Phenol polymerization and precipitation by peroxidase and an additive. Biores. Tech., 54, 5-16.
- Ikehata, K., Buchanan I.D, and Smith, D.W. (2003). Production of Enzymes for Environmental Applications – A Review. In: Waste Water Treatment Using Enzymes. A. Sakurai (ed). Research Signpost, Kerala India. 40 p.
- Buchanan, I. and Leduc, R., (1994). Probabilistic design of multi-stage rotating biological contactors. In: Stochastic and Statistical Methods In Hydrology And Environmental Engineering, Vol. 4, K.W. Hipel and L. Fang, (ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers. Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 113-125.
- Yun, G., Ikehata, K. and Buchanan, I.D., (2002) Colour and chloride removal from kraft pulp mill effluent using ion exchange. CSCE/EWRI of ASCE Environmental Engineering Conference, Niagara ON. July 21-24.
- Ikehata, K. and Buchanan, I.D., (2002) Screening of coprinus species for the production of extracellular peroxidase and evaluation of its applicability to the treatment of aqueous phenol. CSCE/EWRI of ASCE Environmental Engineering Conference, Niagara ON. July 21-24.
- Topnik, J.M., Smith, D.W., and Buchanan, I.D., (2000) Iron in Wastewater: Effect on Quartz Sleeve Scale. WEFTEC North America 2000. Anaheim, CA. October 14-18.
- Stark, H.L., S.J. Stanley, and I.D. Buchanan. (2000) The Application of Artificial Neural Networks to Water Demand Modelling. CSCE 28th Annual Conference, London, Ont. 7-10 June.
- Buchanan, I.D., and Nicell, J.A., (1999) Application of a simplified model of peroxidase-catalyzed phenol removal from aqueous solution to continuous flow reactors. CSCE 27th Annual Conference, Regina, Sask. 2-5 June 1999. Volume IV, pp. 231-240.
- Buchanan, I.D., and Nicell, J.A., (1997) Kinetic model of peroxidase-catalyzed removal of aromatic compounds from aqueous solution. Proceedings of the CSCE/ASCE Environmental Engineering Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, 22-26 July 1997, pp.1453-1464.
- Mao, X., Buchanan, I.D., and Stanley, S.J. (2004). Low temperature wastewater treatment using fungal peroxidases. Cold Regions Engineering. 12th International Specialty Conference. IWCSE/CSCE. Edmonton Alberta. May 16-19.
- Ikehata, K. and Buchanan, I.D. (2002) Removal of phenols from oil refinery wastewater with extracellular fungal peroxidase and hydrogen peroxide. American Chemical Society Annual Conference. Boston MA, Aug 18-22.
- Chiarella, R., Buchanan, I.D., and Smith, D.W. (2000) Control of H2S in anaerobic digester sludge. 2000 Western Canada Water and Wastewater Association Annual Conference Winnipeg, Man. October 17-19.
- Han, Y.-S., Buchanan, I.D., Hahn, A., and Han, M. (2000) Potential application of Arthromyces ramosus peroxidase to the removal of phenol from industrial wastewaters. Korean Society of Environmental Engineers Spring Conference proceedings. Seoul, Korea. May 2000.
- Topnik, J.M., Smith, D.W., and Buchanan, I.D., (1999) Iron in Wastewater: Effect on Quartz Sleeve Scale. 1999 Western Canada Water and Wastewater Association Annual Conference Saskatoon, Sask. October 18-20.
- Stark, H.L., S.J. Stanley, and I.D. Buchanan. (1999) Water Demand Forecasting Using Artificial Neural Networks. OWWA and OMWA Joint Annual Conference, Ottawa, Ont., Canada., May 16-19,1999.
- Nicell, J.A. and Buchanan, I.D. (1996) A mechanistic model for the enzymatic oxidation of aqueous phenols. 12th Eastern Regional Conference, CAWQ (Canadian Association on Water Quality), Burlington, Ontario.
- Buchanan, I.D. and Nicell, J.A. (1995) Kinetics of horseradish peroxidase catalyzed phenol removal from aqueous solution. 11th Eastern Regional Conference, CAWQ, Ste. Foy, Quebec, 27 October. p. 2.