Preliminary Application Process
Please read these instructions carefully before applying. These instructions are important for successfully completing your application.
Applying to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is a two-stage process: the preliminary application (no application fee involved), followed by the formal application.
All students applying to Graduate Studies in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering must first fill out the Preliminary Application Form (no Fee required). Once the form is filled out and submitted, the application will be assessed by the Department and an email will be sent out within six to eight weeks.
NOTE: In order to meet the document deadline dates, you should apply at least four months before the proposed start date.
If your application is approved to the formal application stage and you continue with your application, you will be required to pay the non-refundable application fee of $100 CDN. This fee will be waived if you are applying and living in one of the countries waived from the application fee.
Please follow the steps below:
- Fill out and submit the Department's preliminary online application form (no fee required).
- Receive a confirmation email from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering that you have been approved to the formal application stage. Do not proceed until you receive this email.
- If your preliminary application is approved to the formal application stage, then you must fill out the application form for the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR). This application is completely separate from the Civil Engineering application.
- Pay the $100 CDN non-refundable application fee using the FGSR's application form.
- Send required documents directly to Nona McDonagh, address can be found on Supporting Documents page.
- Check periodically to see if your documents have arrived in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering by visiting the Document Tracking Link Bookmark the page and return to it frequently to see if your documents have arrived, as we do not notify applicants when documents have arrived.
- Keep track of your Civil application number and password as you will need that information to log into the system. Click on the Document Tracking and Instructions link to check the arrival of your documents. Please do NOT check with Bear Tracks to check to see if your documents have arrived, or for the status of your application as we do not use Bear Tracks at the application stage.
Once all your documents are received, your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified of the decision via email.
If you are having difficulties completing this form or have any further questions please email N McDonagh.
Remember, it is the student's responsibility to check the arrival of documents to the department.