Evan Davies, PhD
Associate Professor, Water Resources Engineering
Office: 7-261 Donadeo Innovation Cntr for Engineering
Phone: 780 492 5134
My primary interests lie in the fields of water resources, systems thinking and modeling, and sustainable development.
My work focuses on systems modelling of water resources and their socio-economic and environmental context. Because these systems interact through complex, nonlinear feedbacks, the models I develop represent those feedbacks explicitly. The idea is that relatively simple systems can give rise to highly complex behaviours, and that if we understand the underlying structures involved -- characteristic feedbacks, delays, and accumulations and flows of material and information – we can improve our understanding and management of them. Since water resource systems are my particular area of interest, they form the centre of my models while other parts of the world form the context.
Past research activity: received PhD from University of Western Ontario in December 2007. Worked one year as post-doctoral fellow at UWO. Appointed Assistant Professor at the University of Alberta in July 2009.
- 2003 - 2007 Ph.D. (Civil and Environmental Engineering), The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario.
- 2001-2003 M.E.S. (Environment and Resource Studies), The University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario. Field research in China and India.
- 1995-2001 B.A.Sc. (Systems Design Engineering), The University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario. Includes year-long exchange at Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg, Hamburg, Germany.
Languages: Fluent in German and French, proficient in Mandarin
- 2005-2007 Doctoral Fellowship (CGS), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- 2005-2007 University of Western Ontario Graduate Tuition Scholarship
- 2004-2005 Ontario Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology
- 2002-2004 Masters/Doctoral Fellowship (PGS A/B), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- 2003-2004 University of Western Ontario Graduate Tuition Scholarship
- 2002-2003 Ontario Graduate Scholarship – declined
- 2003 University of Waterloo Graduate Incentives Award
- 2001-2002 University of Waterloo Entrance Scholarship
- 2001 Shastri-CIDA India Summer Programme
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Hejazi, M., Edmonds, J., Chaturvedi, V., and Davies, E. Scenarios of global municipal water use: Demand projections over the 21st century. Hydrological Sciences Journal (in press).
- Davies, E.G.R., Kyle, P., and Edmonds, J.A. (2013) An integrated assessment of global and regional water demands for electricity generation to 2095. Advances in Water Resources. 52: 296-313. doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2012.11.020
- Kyle, P., Davies, E., Dooley, J.J., Smith, S.J., Clarke, L.E., Edmonds, J.A., and Hejazi, M. (2013). Influence of climate change mitigation technology on global demands of water for electricity generation. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 13: 112-123. doi: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.12.006.
- Zhang, Z., Gonzalez, A.M., Davies, E.G.R., and Liu, Y. (2010). Agricultural Wastes. Water Environment Research 84(10): 1386-1406.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2011). Global water resources modeling with an integrated model of the social-economic-environmental system. Advances in Water Resources 34(6): 684-700.
- Davies, Evan G. R. and Simonovic, Slobodan P. (2010). ANEMI: A new model for integrated assessment of global change. Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 11(2/3): 127-161, doi: 10.1504/IER.2010.037903.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Wismer, S. K. (2007). Sustainable forestry and local people: the case of Hainan’s Li minority. Human Ecology 35: 415-426.
- Simonovic, S. P., and Davies, E. G. R. (2006). Are we modelling impacts of climatic change properly? Hydrological Processes 20: 431-433, doi: 10.1002/hyp.6106.
- Davies, Evan. (2001). Valley of the Dammed. Alternatives Journal 27(3): 6-7.
Articles in Preparation for Submission to Refereed Journals
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. Energy systems and global change in ANEMI. Energy, ICE.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Davies, E. G. R., Akhtar, M. K., McBean, G. A., and Simonovic, S. P. (2009). Integrated assessment, water resources, and science-policy communication. EIC-ICI 2nd Climate Change Technology Conference, Hamilton ON, May 2009.
- Davies, E. G. R., and S. P. Simonovic. (2008). Extreme flooding, policy development, and a society-biosphere-climate feedback model. ICLR Fourth International Symposium on Flood Defence, Toronto ON, May 2008.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2007). Society-biosphere-climate feedbacks and the global hydrological system. CSCE 18th Hydrotechnical Conference, Winnipeg MB, August 2007.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2006). The importance of social-economic-climatic feedbacks for water resources management. XXIII Conference of the Danubian Countries on the Hydrological Forecasting and Hydrological Bases of Water Management, Belgrade, August 2006.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2006). Modelling social-economic-climatic feedbacks for policy development. EIC-ICI Climate Change Conference 2006, Ottawa ON, May 2006.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2005). Climate change and the hydrological cycle. CSCE 17th Hydrotechnical Conference, Edmonton AB, August 2005.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2009). Energy Sector for the Integrated System Dynamics Model for Analyzing Behaviour of the Social-Economic-Climatic Model. Water Resources Research Report no. 063, Facility for Intelligent Decision Support, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, London, Ontario, Canada. 191 pages. ISBN: (print) 978-0-7714-2712-1; (online) 978-0-7714-2713-8.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2008). An integrated system dynamics model for analyzing behaviour of the social-economic-climatic system: Model description and model use guide. Water Resources Research Report no. 059, Facility for Intelligent Decision Support, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, London, Ontario, Canada. 233 pages. ISBN: (print) 978-0-7714-2679-7; (online) 978-0-7714-2680-3.
- Davies, E. G. R., and Simonovic, S. P. (2008). Feedback modelling and climate change. Atlantic Climate Change 2008 Conference, Halifax, NS, March 4, 2008.
- Simonovic, S. P., and E. G. R. Davies. (2007). An integrated system dynamics model of the social-economic-climatic system [invited presentation]. The Ocean Management Research Network Conference, Ottawa ON, October 25, 2007.
- Davies, E. G. R. and Simonovic, S. P. (2007). Social-Economic-Climatic Feedbacks and the Global Hydrological Cycle. Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Research Day, University of Western Ontario, London ON, May 3, 2007.
- Davies, E. G. R. (2004). Climate change and system dynamics modelling. Environment Western Colloquium 2004, University of Western Ontario, London ON, April 22, 2004.
- Davies, E. G. R. (2007). Modelling Feedback in the Society-Biosphere-Climate System. Doctoral Thesis, Civil and Environmental Engineering, the University of Western Ontario, London ON, Canada.
- Davies, E. G. R. (2003). Healthy Forests, Healthy Communities: A Case Study in Hainan China. Masters Thesis, Environment and Resource Studies, the University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON, Canada.