Zhehui (Charlie) Jin
Assistant Professor, Petroleum Engineering
Room: 6-304, Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering
Phone: 780 492 6633
Dr. Zhehui Jin’s research focuses on the application of statistical thermodynamics, molecular modeling and simulations on phase behavior and flow of fluids in nanoporous media, enhanced/improved oil recovery (EOR/IOR), interfacial phenomena, carbon capture and sequestration, gas separation, membranes, wettability, etc. Dr. Jin is also interested in conventional phase behavior modeling in petroleum engineering such as multiphase equilibrium computations, pressure/volume/temperature modeling.
Current Research Initiatives
- Phase behavior modeling in shale nanoporous media
- Flow modeling in shale nanoporous media
- Interfacial phenomena and properties of heavy oil and surfactants
- Cubic-plus-association equation of state modeling
Dr. Jin is currently hiring both undergraduate and graduate students who are independent, self-motivated, and passionate about conventional and molecular modeling in general petroleum and chemical engineering applications. The positions are open to students not only from petroleum engineering but also general engineering and science background, such as chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, etc. Interested and qualified students are encouraged to contact Dr. Jin for a possible opportunity to join his research team at University of Alberta.
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of California at Riverside, U.S.A., 2012
- BSc, Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2007
- 09/16-present, Assistant Professor, School of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- 05/12-08/16, Researcher, Reservoir Engineering Research Institute, Palo Alto, California, U.S.A.
- 09/07-05/12, Research Assistant, University of California at Riverside, Riverside, California, U.S.A.
Refereed Journal Publication
- Member of Society of Petroleum Engineers and American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Reviewer for peer-reviewed journals including SPE Journal, Environmental Science and Technology, Nanotechnology, etc.
- External Examiner for PhD thesis from University of New South Wales, Australia
- Z. Jin, S. Zhao and J. Wu, "Entropic forces of single-chain confinement in spherical cavities." Physical Review E, 2010. 82 (4): p. 041805. Also selected for the Nov. 1, 2010 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research.
- Z. Jin and J. Wu "Hybrid MC-DFT method for studying multidimensional entropic forces." The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2011. 115 (6): p. 1450–1460
- Z. Jin, Y. Tang and J. Wu, “A perturbative density functional theory for square-well fluids." The Journal of Chemical Physics, 2011. 134 (17): p. 174702
- S. Zhao, Z. Jin and J. Wu, "New theoretical method for rapid prediction of solvation free energy in water." The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2011. 115 (21): p. 6971-6975
- J. Wu, T. Jiang, D. Jiang, Z. Jin and D. Henderson, "A classical density functional theory for interfacial layering of ionic liquids." Soft Matter, 2011. 7 (23): p. 11222-11231
- D. Henderson, S. Lamperski, Z. Jin and J. Wu, "Density functional study of the double layer formed by a high density electrolyte." The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2011. 115 (44): p. 12911-12914
- D. Jiang, Z. Jin and J. Wu, "Oscillation of Capacitance inside Nanopores." Nano Letters, 2011. 11 (12): p. 5373-5377
- Z. Jin and J. Wu, "Density functional theory for encapsidated polyelectrolytes: A comparison with Monte Carlo simulation." The Journal of Chemical Physics, 2012. 137 (4): p. 044905
- Z. Jin, J. Kim and J. Wu, "Shape effect on nanoparticle solvation: A comparison of morphometric thermodynamics and microscopic theories." Langmuir, 2012. 28 (17): p. 6997-7006
- D. Jiang, Z. Jin, D. Henderson and J. Wu, “Solvent effect on the pore-size dependence of an organic electrolyte supercapacitor.” The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2012. 3 (13): p. 1727-1731
- D. Henderson, D. Jiang, Z. Jin and J. Wu, “Application of density functional theory to study the double layer of an electrolyte with an explicit dimer model for the solvent.” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2012. 116 (36): p. 11356-11361
- Z. Jin and A. Firoozabadi, “Methane and carbon dioxide adsorption in clay-like slit pores by Monte Carlo simulations.” Fluid Phase Equilibria, 2013. 360: p. 456-465
- Z. Jin and A. Firoozabadi, “Effect of water on methane and carbon dioxide sorption in clay minerals by Monte Carlo simulations” Fluid Phase Equilibria, 2014. 382: p. 10-20
- Z. Li, Z. Jin and A. Firoozabadi, “Phase behavior and adsorption of pure substances and mixtures and characterization in nanopore structures by density functional theory.” SPE Journal, 2014. 19 (6): p. 1096-1109
- Z. Jin and A. Firoozabadi, “Flow of methane in shale nanopores at low and high pressure by molecular dynamics simulations” The Journal of Chemical Physics, 2015. 143 (10): p. 104315
- Z. Jin and A. Firoozabadi, “Thermodynamic modeling of phase behavior in shale media” SPE Journal, 2016. 21 (1): p. 190-207
- Z. Jin and A. Firoozabadi, “Phase Behavior and Flow in Shale Nanopores from Molecular Simulations” Fluid Phase Equilibria, 2016. 430: p. 156-168