Derek Apel, PhD, PEng
, Mining Engineering
Office: 6-233 Donadeo Innovation Cntr for Engineering
Phone: 780 492 3379
Over the past eight years, my research activities have focused on rock mechanics and applied geophysics but I am also working on the development of research program in mine radiation. My current research projects are in the areas of detection of underground voids, development of virtual reality simulator for underground rockbolters and development of light-based high-resolution target movement monitor. These projects build on my previous experience gained while working for the mineral industry. The projects which I was using last year to fund my research were sponsored by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Missouri Department of Transportation, and the Doe Run Company.
Research Currently in Progress
I am working on the development of research program in the field of mine radiation and ventilation of uranium mines. I am collaborating in this area with Cameco Corporation of Saskatchewan. I believe that with my experience in uranium mining I should be able to attract research in the field of mine radiation.
Another research topic which I am currently pursuing is the development of Virtual Reality Simulator for training underground miners. This topic is continuation of my research from University of Missouri-Rolla. To build and sustain my research program, I continue to develop, submit, revise, and re-submit proposals to federal agencies and attempt to work with private companies.
- Doctor of Philosphy/Mining Engineering, 1993-1998 Queen's University, Kingston/Canada
- Master of Science/Mining Engineering, 1986-1992 University of Mining and Metallurgy, Krakow/Poland
- Manager of Geotechnical Engineering - Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources - Government of British Columbia, Victoria, Canada
- Associate Professor of Mining Engineering - Missouri University of Science and Technology, Department of Mining Engineering, Rolla, Missouri, USA
- Assistant Professor of Mining Engineering - University of Missouri - Rolla, Department of Mining Engineering, Rolla, Missouri, USA
- Mine Planning Engineer - Cameco Corporation, McArthur River Mine, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Professional Engineer, registered in province of Saskatchewan, Canada since 1999.
- Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration
- 2006 - Sustained Excellence in Teaching, The School of Materials, Energy & Earth Resources, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 2003-2005 - Award for Sustained Excellence in Laboratory Instructions, The School of Materials, Energy & Earth Resources, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 2003-2004 - The Dean's Award for Innovation in Teaching, The School of Mines and Metallurgy, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 2004 - Chi Omega Outstanding Professor Award.
- 2001 – Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists - Exceptional Engineering/Geoscience Project Award – awarded to team of engineers for design and construction of McArthur River uranium mine.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Apel, D.B., Moss, R.H., Watkins, S.E., Jones, T.H., Gray, B.R., 2007, “Wall Movement Monitoring using High-Resolution Target Movement Monitoring System”. SME Transactions, Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration 2007, Vol. 322, pp. 57-60.
- Apel, D.B, Gray, B.R, Moss, R.H. Watkins, S.E, Jones, T.H., 2007, “Development and laboratory trials of light based high-resolution target movement monitor for monitoring convergence at underground mines”, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 9, pp. 1167-1171.
- Gray, B.R, Moss, R.H, Apel, D.B, Watkins, S.E, 2007, “Optical Projection and Image Processing Approach for Mine Wall Monitoring”, Journal of Optical Engineering: Pure and Applied Optics, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp.1-8.
- Apel, D.B., Dezelic, V., 2006, “Evaluation of high frequency ground penetrating radar (GPR) in mapping strata of dolomite and limestone rocks for ripping technique”, Aggregates International, Vol. 02, pp. 6-12.
- Apel, D.B., Szmigiel, P., 2006, “Mapping ground conditions before the development of underground hard rock mine – McArhtur River Uranium Mine case study”, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Elsevier, Vol. 43, pp. 655-660.
- Anderson, N.L., Apel, D.B., Ismail, A. et al., 2006, “Differentiating Rooms and Pillars on Reflection Seismic Data: A Seismic Investigation of Two Abandoned Coal Mines”, Proceedings of Highway Geophysics – NDE Conference, St. Louis, MO, December 4-7, 2006, pp. 11, on CD.
- Anderson, N.L., Ismail, A., Apel, D.B., 2006, “Piping of Soil in Karst Terrain”, Proceedings of Highway Geophysics – NDE Conference, St. Louis, MO, December 4-7, 2006, pp. 23, on CD.
- J. D. Guggenberger II, Apel, D.B. and Whitworth, T. M., 2005, “Bench-Scale Testing of Molten Food-Grade Paraffin Wax and High Density Polyethylene as Injectable Grouts”, International Journal of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 19, No.1, pp. 29-40.
- Apel, D.B., Dezelic, V., 2005, “Using Ground Penetrating Radar in Analyzing Structural Composition of Roofs in Tunnels”. SME Journal Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 56-60 and SME Annual Transactions.
- Apel, D.B., 2005, “Design and development of underground mine with the assistance of rock mechanics software”, SME Journal Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 83-88 and SME Annual Transactions.
- Apel, D.B., Dezelic, V., 2005, “Evaluation of high frequency ground penetrating radar (GPR) in mapping strata of dolomite and limestone rocks for ripping technique”, International Journal of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 19 issue 04, pp. 260-275.
- Zur, K., Apel, D. 2004, “Use of Cemented Rock Fill for Enhanced Pillar Recovery in Area 1 of the Doe Run Company.” Proceedings: Fifth International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering, New York, NY, April 13-17, 2004, Vol. 1, Paper No. 10.11, pp. 6.
- Butt, S.D., Calder, P.N., Apel, D.B., 2000, “The use of high frequency and mine wide microseismic systems to monitor the movement and blasting induced stresses at underground mines.” CIM Bulletin, Vol. 93, No. 1040, pp. 90-95.
- Apel, D., 2000, “Ventilating the world’s largest uranium deposit: McArthur River Mine.”, Proceedings: Mining in the new Millennium -Challenges and Opportunities, Las Vegas, pp. 31-36.
- Apel, D., 2000, “Rock mass classification techniques used during the design and development of McArthur River Project.”, Proceedings: Mining in the new Millennium - Challenges and Opportunities, Las Vegas, pp. 37-44.
- Butt, S.D., Apel, D.B, Calder, P.N., 1997, “Analysis of high frequency microseismicity recorded at underground hardrock mine.” Pure and Applied Geophysics, Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, Vol. 150, No. 12, pp. 693-704.
- Apel, D.B, Grayson, R.L., 2006, “America should lead, not lag, in safety”, article in St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Issue 01/12, page B9.
- High Resolution Distance Measuring/Monitoring Device for Positional Changes of a Target by D.B. Apel, R.H. Moss and B.R. Gray (provisional patent filed on 08/22/06).
- Nutakor, D., Apel, D.B. Grayson, L.R., Hilgers, M.G., Hall, R.H., Buechler, M., 2008, “Evaluation of a Virtual Reality Simulator Developed for Training New Miners to Install Rockbolts Using a Jackleg Drill” 2008 SME Annual Meeting, Salt lake City, on CD.
- Nutakor, D., Apel, D.B. Grayson, L.R., Hilgers, M.G., Hall, R.H., Warmbrodt, J., 2007, “Virtual Reality Simulator for Training Miners to Install Rock Bolts Using Jackleg Drill.”2007 SME Annual Meeting, Denver, on CD.
- Dezelic, V., Apel, D.B., Denney, D.B., Schneider, A.J., Hilgers, M, G., Grayson, L. R., 2005, “Training for new underground rock bolters using virtual reality”, The Sixth International Conference on Computer Applications in the Minerals Industries (CAMI), September 2005, Banff, Canada, on CD.
- Apel, D., 2003, “Design and Development of McArthur River Mine with the Assistance of Rock Mechanics Software”, the Fourth International Conference on Computer Applications in the Minerals Industries (CAMI), September 2003, Calgary, Canada, on CD.
- Apel, D., Butt, S.D., Calder, P.N., 1998, “Evaluation of steel rock supports as waveguides for transmitting high frequency emissions.” CIM – Conference, Montreal, Quebec, on CD.
- Butt, S.D., Calder, P.N., Apel, D., 1998, “The use of high frequency and mine wide microseismic systems to monitor the movement and blasting induced stresses at underground mines.”, CIM – Conference, Montreal, Quebec, on CD.
- “Sago Mine Explosion” presentation for Kiwanis Club of Rolla, March 14, 2006
- “Mapping ground conditions before the development of underground hard rock mine – McArhtur River Uranium Mine case study” presentation during Geotechnical Seminar at the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla, October 20, 2005
- “On-line Master of Engineering in Mining Engineering at University of Missouri-Rolla” - presentation during mining education forum held as part of the Computer Applications in the Minerals Industry (CAMI) Conference at Banff, Canada, October 31, 2005.
- “Void Detection Demonstrations: A Proposal to Acquire Template MASW, Shear-Wave & Resistivity Control at Old Ben Coal Company Mine 11” presentation for MSHA Canonsburg, PA, July 9, 2004