Bipro R. Dhar
Assistant Professor, Environmental Engineering
Room: 6-277, Donaedo Innovation Centre for Engineering
Phone: 780 248-1923
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, 2016
M.E.Sc., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Western University, 2011
B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2008
Broad Research Interests
Dr. Dhar's research program focuses on bioenergy and resources recovery from organic waste. His research areas include microbial electrochemical technologies (METs), anaerobic digestion (AD), dark fermentation, and physicochemical processes.
Selected Specific Research Topics
- Characterization of extracellular electron transport (EET) kinetics and biofilm conductivity in microbial electrochemical cells (MXCs)
- Microbial electrochemical technologies (METs) for organic waste and wastewater treatment
- Pre-treatment technologies for anaerobic digestion and dark fermentation
- Dhar, B.R., Ryu, H., Ren, H., Santo Domingo, J. W., Chae, J., Lee, H.S. (2016). High biofilm conductivity conserved to change of anode potential in a Geobacter-enriched biofilm anode, submitted.
- Dhar, B.R., Ryu, H., Santo Domingo, J. W., Lee, H.S. (2016). Ohmic resistance affects microbial community and electrochemical kinetics in a multi-anode microbial electrochemical cell, Journal of Power Sources 331, 315-321.
- Dhar, B.R., Elbeshbishy, E., Hafez, H., Lee, H.S. (2015). Hydrogen production from sugar beet juice using an integrated biohydrogen process of dark fermentation and microbial electrolysis cell, Bioresource Technology 198, 223-230.
- Elbeshbishy, E., Dhar, B.R., Nakhla, G. (2015). Assessing non-biodegradable fraction of the thickened waste activated sludge, Water Environment Research 87(8), 707-711.
- Dhar, B.R.; Gao, Y.; Yeo, H.; Lee, H.S. (2013). Separation of microorganisms using anaerobic membrane bioreactors as pretreatment to microbial electrochemical cells, Bioresource Technology 148, 208-214.
- Dhar, B.R., Nakhla, G., Ray, M. B. (2012). Techno-economic evaluation of ultrasound and thermal pretreatment for enhanced anaerobic digestion of municipal waste activated sludge, Waste Management 32(3), 542–549.
- Dhar, B.R., Elbeshbishy, E., Hafez, H., Nakhla, G., Ray, M. B. (2011). Thermo-oxidative pretreatment of municipal waste activated sludge for volatile sulfur compounds removal and enhanced anaerobic digestion, Chemical Engineering Journal 174 (1), 166-174.
- Elbeshbishy, E., Hafez, H., Dhar, B.R., Nakhla, G. (2011). Single and combined effect of various pretreatment methods for biohydrogen production from food waste, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 (17), 11379-11387.
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canada, 2016 (declined)
- Philip H. Jones Award, Canadian Association on Water Quality, 2016
- Laurence Hamlin Memorial Award, University of Waterloo, 2015
- NSERC Post Graduate Scholarship (PGSD3), Canada, 2013-16
- President’s Graduate Scholarship, University of Waterloo, 2013-16
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Canada, 2013-14 (declined)
- Dr. M. Chandrashekar Memorial Award in Sustainable Energy, University of Waterloo, 2013-14