The graduate programs we offer provide our students with exceptional opportunities for career advancement. Many of the world’s great minds are U of A graduates including Canadian Prime Ministers and Nobel Prize winners.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research sets a minimum academic standard for admission for both Canadian and international applicants. Please review the general admission protocol as set by FGSR.
The minimum admission requirement for the Department is:
- A baccalaureate degree or its academic equivalent from an accredited academic institution recognized by the University of Alberta.
- 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale on the most recent two-years of full-time study (or equivalent)
- English Language Proficiency
Applicants with degrees/qualifications in a language other than English may need to demonstrate English Language Proficiency through one of the following exam scores:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 88 with a score of at least 20 on each of the individual skill areas (internet-based). Minimum of 550 Paper-based TOEFL.
- MELAB: minimum score of 85
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least 5 on each band
- CAEL: overall minimum score of 60, with at least 60 on each subtest
- PTE (Academic): overall minimum score of 59
Note: These are minimum scores required by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. Some departments require higher scores.
If you need to complete one of these English language examinations, you should do so as soon as possible and arrange for the results to be sent to the department to which you are applying.
TOEFL institution code is 0963.
Scores more than two years old cannot be verified; therefore the applicant normally would be required to re-take the test.
GRE is NOT required nor is it used in the evaluation process.
Some institutions are exempt from the English language test, pleaser refer to the English language exemption list.